Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Spirit Speaks

Dear Mom and Dad and Friends and Family,
 This week was amazing, starting last Sunday!!!!   The Mexico City Temple was rededicated.  We traveled to Villahermosa to take part in the rededication.  We got to go to two sessions of the dedication.  It was amazing! Elder Holland gave an amazing talk on the Prophecy of Elijah...a prophecy that was fulfilled in the Kirtland Temple with Joseph Smith.  He said that there are millions of people in the world waiting for that prophecy to be fulfilled, and it is our responsibilty to let people know.  He also gave another talk on dedication, and rededication.  He shared stories of the early pioneers and the dedication that they had in their lives.  Now is a time for rededicating our lives to the service of the Lord.  I took this talk and applied it to my life.  This week I rededicated myself as a missionary and representative of Jesus Christ, to really give Him my all.  Be 100% focused on what He expects of me and to always trust in Him.  At the end of his talk, he bore his testimony in Spanish.  He only knows a little bit, but it was so powerful.  He was crying as he said ''Yo se que esto es la iglesia verdadera. Yo se que Jesucristo vive.'' (I know that this church is true.  I know that Jesus Christ lives.)  It was amazing.

On Monday we had transfers.  Elder Jenkins left and Elder Reyes came.  He is super awesome.  We are working super well togather, and we are already best friends!!!  Heand I are finding success here, and are working hard:)

Wednesday was a real blessing.  We went to visit with Eusebio.  We taught him a lesson so that he could know if the Book of Mormon is true or not.  We focused on the question ''What does Jesus Christ expect of me?''  In 2 Nephi chapter 9, you can find the answer to this question.  (Repent, be baptized, endure to the end.) We read it together and talked with him about what Jesus Christ expects of him, and how he could complete what the Jesus Christ expects of him.  We then knelt down with him, so that he could directly ask Heavenly Father ''Is the Book of Mormon true?''.  We knelt down...he asked, and we stayed on our knees for about ten minutes.  He then looked at us and told us that he knows that it is true.  And because it is true, he knows what he needs to do for Jesus Christ.  We were super excited!!  The Spirit spoke to him and he was ready for baptism, we just needed to teach him the rest of the lessons in 2 days.  We set up a appointment with him for the next night.

On Thursday, we showed up at his house, and he wasn't there.  We called him and he didn't answer.  His mom was home and she told us that he didn't want to get baptized or keep meeting with us.  We were super bummed, but we didn't let that get in the way.  We went home and prayed for him.  Prayed that some way we could get in touch with him.  We prayed that he could be guided by the Spirit.  On Friday morning we got a call from his brother Jorge who told us that he and Eusebio would be home in the afternoon if we wanted to come over. (The miricle here is, Jorge didn't know about what had happened with Eusebio, and he isn't really interested in the church.)  We showed up at 4:00, and Jorge wasn't home, but Eusebio was.  He invited us in and we started to talk about his family and his work. I was trying to find a video that we were going to use to teach him, but I couldn't find it.  I decided to use another video, but when I played it, it wasn't the video I wanted!!  My companion looked at me with a face of ''Why did you pick this video?!''  I was super stressed out. I had no idea of how we could relate this video to help him with his needs.  The video ended, and my companion asked him what he thought about the video.  Then I just started talking.  The words just came.  Then we prayed with him on our knees again to know if this is what he needed to do. (He didn't want to get baptized.)

We prayed with him, and we were on our knees again for like 10 minutes.  He then told us that he felt nothing. He knew what the Spirit felt like, and how prayers are answered, and he felt nothing.  He told us that he would let us know when he recieved his answer.  We convinced him to come to the ward actvity with us.  There he had a lot of fun, and got to know a lot of members.  After the ward party, we took him into a room and asked him what he felt.  We seriously sat in silence for 30 minutes while he just pondered and thought.  He then looked at us and told us ''I got my answer. I need to get baptized tomorrow.''  We were so happy!!!!  We asked him what happened.  Miracle: he told us that he had been thinking about the video that we shared. (The video that I didn't mean to share/that we didn't want to share.)  He told us that he needs to prepare his garden for the coming of it's Master. Here is the link to the video. https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2011-03-116-the-gardener?lang=spa

The Spirit guided us in that lesson.  When we were lost, he took over and converted Eusebio. Moses 6:32;
D&C 24:6.

On Saturday we baptized him.  After he came out of the water, he gave me the biggest hug I have ever had in the mission.  I asked him what he was feeling, and he told me that he felt new...clean...ready to change:)  On Sunday he was confirmed in church, and the blessing that was given to him was all about misisonary work within his family and his potential as a leader.  It was super special.  Afterwards, I asked him how he was feeling.  He asked me how many people were standing around him when he was confirmed.  I told him that only one....brother Reyes.  He told me that he felt someone else at his shoulder.  He is an amazing guy, and he is going to be a great leader one day.


I testify that the Spirit is there to help every single one of us.  We always need to apply the atonement in our lives every day so that we can be worthy of him as a companion.  Every night...kneel down and ask for forgiveness of your weaknesses, and ask for His strength.  When we do this, He helps helps us to be strong. Ether 12:27.

On Sunday after church William opened his misison call. (He just completed a year as a member.)  He is going to Mexico City east mission and he leaves on October 28!!!  He is so excited!!!

This week in Preach my Gospel I have been studying the lessons again, focusing on Lesson 1...the Restoration. I am trying to change the way I teach, in order to invite the Spirit more.  I am focusing on using different methods depending on the needs and personalities of our investigators.  In the Book of Mormon, I studied Alma 26.  It is an amazing chapter about missionary work.  I Love verse 27 that talks about patiently suffering. We when do this, God will give us success.  Also verse 22 talks about if we have faith, and repent, we can come to know the mysteries of God.  He will reveal to us things that have never been revealed before. With this revelation, we will bring thousands to repentance:)

I Love this work, and I know that it all is true.

I Love you all so much!!!!!!

Love,

Elder Cavenee


No comments:

Post a Comment