Thursday, November 12, 2015

Dia De Los Muertos

Hello Family,

How are you all doing? I hope that everything is going amazing back in Arizona!

I am still doing really good. Sometimes I have bad moments, but they pass, and I forget them really quickly because there is so much good happening everywhere!!!

So, this week was super awesome. I feel like I say that about every week, but it is true. They are so awesome. On Monday, after writing, we went to the cemetery to contact people and teach them about the Plan of Salvation. When we got there, there were only a couple people there. That surprised me because everyone had told me that all the people gather in the cemetery all night long for Dia de los Muertos. It turns out that everyone was in the cemetery Sunday night:( We went on the wrong night!!! We were pretty bummed, but we made the best of it and contacted everyone we could find. It was really cool. In a moment when these people were thinking and missing their loved ones, we were able to teach about the Plan of Salvation. We shared with them, where there loved ones are, and that it is possible to see them again. Then we would sing hymns for the dead people. We got some pretty awesome contacts, but none of them lived in our area. Then we took pictures!!!

On Tuesday we went to visit an old investigator. His name is Felipe. I was teaching him when I first got to Frontera, but he wasn't progressing so we had to stop visiting him. One of our appointments fell through, and we were nearby, so I told my companion that we were going to stop by and see how he was doing. Felipe is an older man...he's 81, and has problems with his back...but is very nice. He lives alone so he loves when we visit him. We taught him a very simple, but spiritual lesson and invited him to be baptized. He accepted and is now preparing for this Saturday. We met with him two other times last week, and have several appointments planned with him for this week.

Wednesday, I did divisions with Elder Piña. A new rule for the district leaders is that we have to bring every elder in our district to our area at least once a month in divisions. That way, they can see how their leaders work and have success, then go back to their areas and apply what they learned. I brought Elder Piña to come work with me for the day, and we had a blast. We taught some really good lessons to less actives, and new converts. Elder Piña has only been in the mission for only two weeks, so he is still learning a lot, but he teaches so powerfully. I focused on baptismal invitations with him. In a baptismal invitation, you need to help the investigator realize why they need to be baptized and what blessings they are going to receive from doing so. Then when you invite them, you have to be super direct. Lot's of missionaries say things like, ''Would you be willing to be baptized?'' or ''Do you think you should be baptized?'' in order to receive these blessings. I have learned that the most effective way is ''Will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized in order to receive this blessing?''. Then I invite for a specific date....normally two or three weeks later. I always do this in the first lesson so that I can find their doubts and fear in being baptized. It is very effective, and most of the time, they accept a baptismal date. Elder Piña learned a lot, and at the end of the day, his baptismal invitation was really good and strong.

Thursday was another normal day. Working super hard, finding new people and Weekly planning. I Love weekly planning!!! We plan everything that we are going to do in the next week. Everything....from baptismal services, to every lesson that we are going to have with every investigator, and how we are going to help them progress towards baptism. Every lesson we are going to have with recent converts and less actives and how we are going to help them progress towards the Temple. It is awesome!!! I LOVE IT!!! It is a way that we can give an accounting to Heavenly Father that really these people mean something to us. We care about them, and we desire the best for them.

Friday we had zone conference. That was one of the best zone conferences I have had in my entire mission. At the beginning, President told us that in the past week, he had to send home two missionaries for disobedience. He talked to us about how sad he was to do that...Sister Morales was crying. We talked about how during the mission we are supposed to become the best person we have ever been....and that these two missionaries were going home worse then when they arrived in the mission. We then talked about being the missionaries that our families and parents think that we really are. He then had us ''call home'' using our missionary handbook, and share with Mom or Dad, everything that we were doing wrong, or the things that we weren't doing, so that they could know really what kind of missionaries we are.



Afterwards President asked us how each of our calls went, and what our parents said. We then talked about becoming these powerful missionaries. Then he invited us to stand one at a time and make a covenant with him and with God, that we would be 100% obedient to the commandments and the mission rules. That was one of the best things that President Morales has done for the mission. I stood and made a covenant with God and with President, that I would be 100%, and as a result of that, baptize every week.

I left from that conference filled with the Spirit and with a determination to become 100%. To become the missionary you all think I am. Could you send me a description of what kind of missionary you all think I am, or want me to be? Be specific and honest so that I can complete that and be that kind of missionary.
  
Baptism Picture with Norma and her family
Saturday we had another baptism!!! Norma is a convert that was baptized two weeks ago. On Saturday her mom, sister and brother were baptized!!!! They were a little hesitant at the beginning of the week, but with more visits, we conquered their fears, and helped them to be prepared. They were all super excited and happy Saturday morning before the service. Saturday night, they had to travel to Carmen for a family emergency so they haven’t been confirmed yet. They will be confirmed this Sunday. I am so happy for this family!!! They have progressed a ton. When we taught them about the law of chastity, the mom kicked her boyfriend out of her house…in that moment. It was really cool. We finished the lesson and she went inside, packed his stuff and told him he needed to leave...and he left. That was amazing.

Really, everyday I have the blessing to experience things like that. People feel the Spirit and are willing to do anything in order to feel it more. It really is one of the best gifts that our Heavenly Father has given us. Listen to Him....He will guide and comfort you.

Saturday I completed 10 months!!!!! How fast the time has past!!! Christmas is right around the corner, and then I hit my year mark. I feel like I haven't done enough this year!!! I am working super hard to try to make up for time I lost and I am setting goals so that I don't lose any more time. These two years are nothing and if you blink....a year is gone.

Anyways....I am doing super well and having an amazing time with Elder Lopez. He is really funny, and when he talks in English (he knows a lot) he sounds like Gru from Despicable Me. He has a Russian-ish accent:) It's awesome.
  
Motorcycle Races (No worries, we didn't really drive them. Just turned on the lights)
I know that there is no other place that the Lord needs me right now. I know that when we put our full trust in Him, He uses us to do His miracles. I am eternally grateful to be His instrument. I Love my Heavenly Father. I Love my Savior Jesus Christ. I Love the Gospel. I Love the truth and light we have in our lives. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true. I know that today we have a prophet called by God to lead and guide us. He wants us to be happy, and He wants us to return to Him. He is Good.

I Love You all sooooo much.

Love,

Elder Cavenee

No comments:

Post a Comment