Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thanksgiving Week

Hello Family,

I hope that you all have an amazing Thanksgiving this week. It is a wonderful time of the year to remember all that you are thankful for, and to thank God for all of it. This week I invite you once a day to say a prayer of just thanks. Thank God for all that he has given you. I started today, and there is so much to thank him for. As you do this, it will be easier to see the miracles that happen in every moment of you life.

I'm going to miss Thanksgiving. Take a lot of pictures and videos:) And eat an extra piece of the $25 chocolate pie for me:)

Jenna, I am so happy that you had an amazing Birthday. You are so beautiful. And are growing up really fast!!! In just one year from now, you will be old enough to head out on your mission. I hope that you still want to serve. It will be the best thing you have ever done in your life. I Love You a ton and I hope that your Birthday was amazing. (A sister in our ward sent you birthday wishes from me on your Facebook:)) I'm glad that you are having a good time. How is Gilbert High, and being a senior?

That's awesome about your callings mom. Enjoy them...primary is the best:) When are your concerts? Take videos and pictures.

Elder Lopez was in the offices today, and the packages haven't arrived yet, but don't worry, they'll get here. What service did you send them with?
Service Project: Cutting tons of weeds with a machete:) Yes I have Blisters.
 This week has been another awesome week. It was a little slower, but full of wonderful experiences.

Last Sunday we were working with ward council to find and reactivate some more less-active families. The Elder's quorum president invited us to go visit a family about 30 minutes from Frontera. He took us out to visit them twice this week, and they are an awesome family. There only problem (like most of the less active families here) is that they have a lot to do and it is hard to get it all done. So they don't come to church on Sundays. We had two really nice lessons with them about the covenants that we have made as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints...and the covenants that we can make. This family was baptized in January, so the time is coming up that they can go to the Temple and get sealed as a family. (It is a one year wait after baptism) We talked about when we were baptized, we made the promise to take upon us the name of Jesus Christ, and to always keep his commandments. Then we talked about the Sacrament, and how it is a commandment that he gave us to participate every week, to remember his sacrifice for us. As we talked about the atonement and what it meant for their lives and their family, the Father and Mother began to cry. In that moment the Spirit touched them, and they remembered what it felt like to feel the Spirit. They shared with us how they wanted that back in their family and that they wanted to go to the Temple. The next visit we talked more about the Temple and eternal families. Once again, they were touched by the Spirit. They came to church on Sunday!!!! It was really awesome to find them.

When we make the effort to attend church and participate in the Sacrament every week, we will have an added measure of the Spirit in our lives, and this will help us in everything that we do. The Spirit knows everything, and he knows how to help us in any problem that we can/could/would/will have in our lives. If we live worthy of his companionship, and listen to him, we can come out on top of any problem that we are faced with in our lives. I know this is True.

This Family gave us a reference of their neighbors. They told us that they need the Gospel, but that they probably won't accept it. We went to visit them anyways. That was the first time I have ever been yelled at and attacked on my mission. We met him and asked if we could share a message about Jesus Christ with him. He started yelling at us and was angry because I am only nineteen and he is 64 and that I want to teach him. He also said that I was wasting my time...and that I needed to learn how to do real work. He said that I am a gringo and that I have never worked a day in my life. I thought he was going to hit me, so we got out of there as fast as we could. All in all, it was the first time that anyone has been that angry with me in the mission and all just because I am from the United States and young. It was very interesting. (He also told us that if we were Catholics he would have listened to us:))

This week we have been working with Lorena (Maria Estela's sister). On Thursday we read the Book of Mormon with her in Mosiah searching for how we can find more peace and joy in our lives. In this part of Mosiah, King Benjamin is talking and teaching all of his people how they can have that joy and peace. It is by keeping the Lord's commandments. We then were talking about this chapter with her, when she opened up to us. She shared with us some problems that she is having with her family. Crying she told us that she didn't know what to do or how to do it. We then talked with her about the Holy Ghost. Reading scriptures and asking questions, we taught her that the Holy Ghost can teach her what to do; can help her make decisions. We then asked if that night she would pray and ask God if she needs to get baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. She told us that she would.

The next evening we went back to visit her. She told us that she didn't pray the night before, but then she started to share this experience with us. She told us that she was up late doing a project for her son. When she finished she laid down for a second, and fell asleep. While she was sleeping she had a dream. In that dream she was talking with Heavenly Father. He told her that she needed to read the Book of Mormon…that the answers and the help that she needs are located in it. Then he told her that she needs to pray and ask about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. She then woke up. It was 6:00 in the morning. She said that she got down on her knees and prayed. She shared everything with God (she told us that normally she doesn't pray) and was on her knees for 20 min. She then told us that she needed to get baptized!!! Talk about being happy as a missionary!!!! It was super awesome. We are planning her baptism for this Saturday.

On Friday, all of the Schools here marched. It's like a giant parade. It was super cool. Everyone marched...from the little first-graders to the High-Schoolers. The little kids were all in costumes and were super cute, and all the teenagers made some really cool pyramids. It was awesome, and they passed right in front of our house. Living on the second story we had a really good view. It was November 20th...the Revolution of Mexico.

School Parade
Anyways...everything is going really good here. I hope you all have an amazing Thanksgiving and remember all that you are really grateful for. I am praying for you all everyday.

I want to share with you what I have been studying this week.

I have been focusing on how I can become a better leader. How I can earn the respect and love of all the Elders in my district. I have been study the attributes of righteous leadership in D&C 121, Preach my Gospel, the Missionary Handbook, and the example of Jesus Christ.

The Keys to righteous leadership are persuasion, patience, kindness, and humility. I am learning how to lead by example and avoid conflict at all costs. In moments I need to correct, but it is always one on one, and with a lot of love. I am learning to apologize really fast and asking how I can improve in these situations. I am finding ways to serve and like you mentioned Dad...really getting to know the Elders. What they love, what they miss, who they are, and what their strengths and weaknesses are. We are all learning from one another and becoming better and more unified.

A leadership assignment is a sacred trust from the Lord and should be treated like that.

Everything is going super awesome.

I Love you all!!!

Love,
Elder Cavenee

No comments:

Post a Comment